Many drivers have commented on seeing a new DAF ‘fella’ out on the road. It’s a mean green machine operated by Mid West Bulk. Well, here’s what that model is all about.
It’s the first DAF XF105.510 Super Space Cab in South Africa, which will be officially launched by Babcock, the sole importer and distributor of DAF Trucks in southern Africa, in the country later this year. Mid West Bulk, part of the KZN-based West End Trucking group, couldn’t wait that long, however, and bought the first model to come into the country.
Alex Jackson, sales executive for Babcock’s Transport Solutions division, says the new DAF XF105.510 Super Space Cab model has been designed with an emphasis on comfort and ergo dynamics and is being regarded in Europe as the ultimate driver’s truck.
“The new generation XF105 trucks, launched in Europe mid last year, set optimal standards in transport efficiency and driver comfort with new drivelines and aerodynamic optimisations resulting in up to 7% lower fuel consumption,” he says.
Punting it further, he reckons the new DAF XF105.510 Super Space Cab offers the same low operating costs and high uptime as operators get from the DAF XF105 trucks but with the added advantage of a super spacious luxurious cab, a highly attractive exterior and the most powerful engine that DAF Trucks has brought into the country.
“You could call them the Rolls Royce of trucks,” he says, adding that its sleek aesthetics, in addition to improved performance, played a major role in Mid West Bulk’s decision to purchase the truck.
The DAF Design Centre in the Netherlands has given the XF105 a stylish appearance, while maintaining all its functional aspects. The new generation XF105 also features lower weight for increased payload and an updated interior and exterior design for the highest driver comfort and greatest appeal.
The key development criteria behind the new DAF XF105 range were based on the principles of low operating costs, best driver satisfaction and high reliability.
Some of its improved features include:
- A choice of Space Cab and Super Space Cab, both with generous interior dimensions that are claimed by DAF to provide more living, working and storage space than any other truck in its class.
- A 12.9-litre PACCAR MX engine that delivers excellent performance, from 410 to 510 hp, and high torque of between 2 000 and 2 500 Nm. Economical technical advances include a reduction in fuel consumption and low maintenance components that extend service intervals and reduce operating costs. Jackson says the DAF XFs 510 horse power engine is a first for Babcock and South Africa and that Mid West Bulk has conveyed that the new XF105 has already shown improved fuel consumption.
- A high performance driveline that is balanced for optimisation under all operating conditions and makes the most of the engine’s low fuel consumption. There is a choice of either a 12- or 16-speed manual gearbox, or the latest AS-Tronic automated transmission, as well as a hub-reduction axle for more demanding applications.
- A variety of axle configurations to ensure that the XF105 is ideally suited to each application.
- A stylish lower grille for increased air channelling and enhanced performance.
- A wider field of vision for increased safety with four large, electrically adjustable and heated mirrors offering a larger field of view for increased safety.
- A Super Space Cab roof featuring an integrated aerodynamic sun visor and optional integrated skylights.
The introduction of the model later this year in South Africa will be a good move for Babcock which became the sole distributors of DAF Trucks in southern Africa in 2010 and has since made steady progress in sales in a highly competitive market. FleetWatch looks forward to the launch.