Eqstra Fleet Management has delivered 39 new pothole repair trucks to the Johannesburg Road Agency. The units were designed and developed by the JRA in conjunction with Kanu Commercial Body Construction (Pty) Ltd – an Isuzu Truck South Africa owned company.
As the contract manager for specialized vehicles for the City of Johannesburg, Eqstra was commissioned to implement the concept and ensure its full realization. This included overall responsibility for product quality, cost control, project management, product compliance and delivery of all 39 units.
The new trucks utilize an Isuzu 400 chassis with a specially designed body with the following features:
- Heavy duty body suitable for transporting hot asphalt from the JRA depot to the pothole site.
- Double cab with space for seven workmen, including the driver.
- Three way tipper – it can tip to the left, right and rear by changing pins on the load body.
- Storage bin for traffic signs.
- Storage compartment behind the cab for tools.
- Extended shutes at the rear and on the sides of the vehicle to prevent hot asphalt spillage onto the load body.
“These units have been specifically designed to improve occupational safety and productivity of maintenance staff when dealing with hot asphalt” says Dr Sean Phillips, managing director of the JRA. “The vehicles will be going into service with immediate effect and we look forward to the resultant improvements in operational efficiencies.”